I am a dance instructor, choreographer and an event organiser who is passionate about the world of Latin dance and music. I have been self-employed for longer than I can remember and I love the work that I do. In my spare time, I practice yoga and mindfulness and connect with nature. I also spend quality time with those close to me and each day I strive to live a healthy and happy life.
As a dance instructor, I have more than 20 years of expertise in teaching Street Latin styles (including Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cha Cha Cha, Kizomba, Reggaeton & Samba). I love to work with students who are keen to master the fundamentals of the dances and who want to build their confidence in dance and for life. I have taught thousands of different people over the years from absolute beginners through to experienced dancers, corporate groups, wedding couples and more. See testimonials here…
MY TEACHING APPROACH
I have a unique teaching technique which focuses on first teaching the rhythm and movement of the traditional dance styles. Steps are broken down in detail, solid techniques are taught and repetition is used to help absorb and retain the material you have learnt. I believe that “everyone can dance” and that there is no such thing as “two left feet”. All you need is a good dance instructor, the desire to learn and a healthy dose of patience!
MY EVENT EXPERIENCE
As an event organiser and festival director, I am multi-skilled, having worked with dance and music festivals as well as private and corporate events for more than 15 years. The festivals and events are a wonderful, positive way to bring people together and are a source of inspiration for many. I am the founder and director of the annual Byron Latin Fiesta and a Director of the Sydney International Bachata Festival.
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Picante Productions, 2014 – 2018 (ongoing)
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Byron Latin Fiesta, 2006 – 2018 (ongoing)
- DIRECTOR, Sydney International Bachata Festival, 2008 – 2018 (ongoing)
- DIRECTOR, Sydney Cuban Salsa Congress, 2010 – 2017
- DIRECTOR, Melbourne Kizomba Festival, 2014 – 2016
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Picante Latin Dance, 1999 – 2013
- STAGE MANAGER, New Zealand Salsa Congress, 2009
- STAGE MANAGER, Sydney Salsa Congress, 2007
- EVENT COORDINATOR, Australian National Salsa Championships, 2005 – 2006
- EVENT COORDINATOR, Latin Dance Corroboree, 2005
- COSTUME DESIGNER, Sydney Mardi Gras Parade, 2002
- COSTUME DESIGNER, Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony, 2000
To teach with passion and understanding for the dance styles, the music and the cultures from where the styles originated. To teach with integrity. To be sensitive to my students needs and to deliver a quality service to my clients.
To create events that are executed with passion and flare and which create lasting memories. To use great attention to detail with delivery and quality of service so as to leave clients with an exceptional all round experience.
- Promoter for International Musicians Cuban Orchestra: Los Van Van (direct from Cuba). Bachata singers and groups: 4Ever, Xtreme, Monchy y Nathalia, Domenic Marte, Daniel SantaCruz, Grupo Extra
- Promoter for Bachata Dancers Joanna and Fabrice (France), Tanja and Jorge (USA), Carlos Cinta (USA), Troy and Jorget (USA), Daniel and Desiree (Spain), Judith and Korke (Spain), Seemore and Cristina (Spain), Edwin and Dakota (USA), Jorget (USA), Gatica & Keskia (France), Gabriel & Leticia (Argentina)
- Promoter for Cuban Dancers Leysis Smith (Italy/Cuba), Jorge Camaquey (Spain/Cuba), Alevia Rodriguez (Italy/Cuba), Dawes Figueroa (Italy/Cuba), Solangel Fernandez (Germany/Cuba), Janet Fuentes (UK), Eric & Chantal Turro Martinez (Cuba/Aust), Cruz Vasquez (Cuba/Aust)
- Promoter for Kizomba Dancers Sara Lopez (Spain), Albir Rojas (Spain), Isabelle and Felicien (France), Morenasso and Anais (France), Sika and Khalifa (UK), Tamas Nagy (Hungary), Yami and Steffi (France), Mike Evens & Macarena Paton (France/Spain)