I am a dance instructor, choreographer and an event organiser who is passionate about the world of events and has a big love for Latin dance and music. I have been self-employed for longer than I can remember and I love the work that I do. In my spare time, I pursue creative pursuits like dressmaking and gardening and I practice yoga. I like to spend time in nature and enjoy quality time with those close to me. Each day I strive to live a healthy and happy life.
As a dance instructor, I have more than 20 years of expertise in teaching Street Latin styles (including Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cha Cha Cha, Kizomba, Reggaeton & Samba). I love to work with students who are keen to master the fundamentals of the dances and who want to build their confidence in dance and for life. I have taught thousands of different people over the years from absolute beginners through to experienced dancers, corporate groups, wedding couples and more. See testimonials here…
MY TEACHING APPROACH
I have a unique teaching technique which focuses on first teaching the rhythm and movement of the traditional dance styles. Steps are broken down in detail, solid techniques are taught and repetition is used to help absorb and retain the material you have learnt. I believe that “everyone can dance” and that there is no such thing as “two left feet”. All you need is a good dance instructor, the desire to learn and a healthy dose of patience!
MY EVENT EXPERIENCE
As an event organiser and festival director, I am multi-skilled, having worked with dance and music festivals as well as private and corporate events for more than 15 years. The festivals and events are a wonderful, positive way to bring people together and are a source of inspiration for many. I also have experience with event styling and costume design and have done wedding flowers on a few occasions. I am the founder and director of the annual Byron Latin Fiesta now in its 14th year and also a Director for the Sydney International Bachata Festival now in its 12th year. Other festival I have run include the Sydney Cuban Salsa Congress, the Melbourne Kizomba Festival and Festival de Ritmo.
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Picante Productions, 2014 – 2019 (ongoing)
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Byron Latin Fiesta, 2006 – 2019 (ongoing)
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Festival de Ritmo, 2018
- DIRECTOR, Sydney International Bachata Festival, 2008 – 2019 (ongoing)
- DIRECTOR, Sydney Cuban Salsa Congress, 2010 – 2017
- DIRECTOR, Melbourne Kizomba Festival, 2014 – 2016
- FOUNDER & DIRECTOR, Picante Latin Dance, 1999 – 2013
- STAGE MANAGER, New Zealand Salsa Congress, 2009
- STAGE MANAGER, Sydney Salsa Congress, 2007
- EVENT COORDINATOR, Australian National Salsa Championships, 2005 – 2006
- EVENT COORDINATOR, Latin Dance Corroboree, 2005
- COSTUME DESIGNER, Sydney Mardi Gras Parade, 2002
- COSTUME DESIGNER, Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony, 2000
To teach with passion and understanding for the dance styles, the music and the cultures from where the styles originated. To teach with integrity. To be sensitive to my students needs and to deliver a quality service to my clients.
To create events that are executed with passion and flare and which create lasting memories. To use great attention to detail with delivery and quality of service so as to leave clients with an exceptional all round experience.
- Promoter for International Musicians Cuban Orchestra: Los Van Van (direct from Cuba). Bachata singers and groups: 4Ever, Xtreme, Monchy y Nathalia, Domenic Marte, Daniel SantaCruz, Grupo Extra, Karlos Rose, Dani J
- Promoter for Bachata Dancers: Micka & Emi (France), Junior & Carolina (Sweden), Samy el Magico (France), Nino Acosta (USA), Edwin & Dakota (USA), Joanna and Fabrice (France), Tanja and Jorge (USA), Carlos Cinta (USA), Troy and Jorget (USA), Daniel and Desiree (Spain), Judith and Korke (Spain), Seemore and Cristina (Spain), Jorget (USA), Gatica & Keskia (France), Gabriel & Leticia (Argentina)
- Promoter for Cuban Dancers Leysis Smith (Italy/Cuba), Jorge Camaquey (Spain/Cuba), Alevia Rodriguez (Italy/Cuba), Dawes Figueroa (Italy/Cuba), Solangel Fernandez (Germany/Cuba), Janet Fuentes (UK), Eric & Chantal Turro Martinez (Cuba/Aust), Cruz Vasquez (Cuba/Aust), Osmani Segura (Cuba/Germany)
- Promoter for Kizomba Dancers Sara Lopez (Spain), Albir Rojas (Spain), Isabelle and Felicien (France), Morenasso and Anais (France), Sika and Khalifa (UK), Tamas Nagy (Hungary), Yami and Steffi (France), Mike Evens & Macarena Paton (France/Spain), Rico & Adda (UK)